Name of Mission Restoration of Soleb excavation house (ResSol)
Mission No. QSAP 4
Institution Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
Location Soleb, Northern State
The archaeological site of Soleb is renowned for the temple of Pharaoh Amenhotep III (c.1350 BCE), which represents the finest example of classical Egyptian religious architecture outside Egypt. Excavations in the late 1950s, led by Michela Schiff Giorgini in association with French archaeologists Clement Robichon and Jean Leclant, gave rise to the construction of an excavation house and a store near the temple. This QSAP project focuses on renovating the excavation house, which was once a beautiful building, in order to turn it into a centre for tourism information, with a presentation room and illustrated panels to explain the temple and the history of the excavations at the site. Soleb is the most visited site in Middle Nubia and is set to attract many tourists once the road joining Dongola to the Egyptian border is completed.